· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Star Trek Discussions / Nothing left to write about....HA! THIS MOVIE CHANGED HISTORY AND WIPED THE SLATE CLEAN!
houseofmarto
# Posted: 11 May 2009 01:54

Star Trek from a DIFFERENT VIEW....GOOD...ITS ABOUT TIME...and no matter what, the way THIS story was written...history was changed...and NO FAN CAN ARGUE IT....now there's a clean slate....new blood....and SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT.....have an open mind my friends....the dream and the ideology is still alive....just from a different perspective....Leonard Nemoy didnt have a problem with it!
Q'plah!!

skevington
# Posted: 11 May 2009 12:08

I take it you're excited about it? =p

-Dmitri

master_chief
# Posted: 11 May 2009 12:56

Sounds like someone is going for round 2 at the box office

-Brandon

babel
# Posted: 11 May 2009 17:18

I agree with the original poster's assessment.

ryo_crimson
# Posted: 15 May 2009 00:57

Not a trekkie, but realy enjoyed this film. Felt thenew cast was spot-on for a new-age representation of the characters and loved the writing. Kinda wish they hadn't gone with time-travel as a pot device, though. Seems the could have done without.

david1
# Posted: 21 May 2009 14:47

Quoting: ryo_crimson
Not a trekkie, but realy enjoyed this film. Felt thenew cast was spot-on for a new-age representation of the characters and loved the writing. Kinda wish they hadn't gone with time-travel as a pot device, though. Seems the could have done without.

I think the time travel was on purpose, to "wipe the slate clean" as doing so as "created an alternate reality" in which they can do anything with these new characters. it will be interesting to see where tohey take it from here.

wheezer
# Posted: 12 Aug 2009 00:59

I loved the film but wasn't too sure about the "wiping the slate clean" plan. I loved the old Star Trek... the universe, the characters, all. Now I have to pretend it didn't happen? I could pretend its in an alternate universe I guess, and that the old characters are the same and happy as ever.

soka
# Posted: 12 Aug 2009 17:13 · Edited by: soka

I think it was a good move. What else could they have done?

No more TNG-crew, and there are no new series set in the future - DSN is over too long - I hoped for a DSN-movie for a long long time, but it's unrealistic now - and VOY is well, over. They got home after all. Of course you could always pretend they aren't and are blown out of space instead, but I mustn't get my hopes up.
Well, those weren't really in the future anyway, as some of the TNG-movies took place afterwards as far as I know.

So, with them out of the question, what remains?

Make up new characters just for movies, set in the future of Nemesis, or at least ... say, First Contact? Wouldn't be too good - you'd have to create whole new personalities that you have to introduce, would take the majority of a whole movie. Or maybe more.

Go back in time and set it somewhere within the existing series?
No matter in which period you set it, it's impossible to avoid mixing up things from the existing stuff (as proven by ENT) - depending on the size it'd have resulted in a lot of angered fans, and depending on the storyline it'd have been not understandable for fans.

But going back, use old characters with well-known personalities (as far as I know the basics of it are known to non-fans too) so you can abbreviate the introduction more or less to what is different, and just put them into a different situation, that solves the problem of both a whole movie being only for introduction and the problem about non-canonical dangers.

Like I said, I think it's a good solution. And if you ask me, it's a parallel world, the old timeline still exists - but there now is a new one too. The arrival of Nero created a parallel universe. Of course that's up for discussion, but I think that is what will happen - for RL-reasons. Authors and fans just won't want to give up the original universe, so it will be kept alive.

Right, this has become a far longer post than I had intended, but kept thinking of things as I typed along.

dierna
# Posted: 14 Aug 2009 22:45

Quoting: wheezer
I could pretend its in an alternate universe I guess, and that the old characters are the same and happy as ever.

No need to pretend. Star Trek IS an alternate universe. It's not the main (Prime) Universe.

In the Prime universe Romulas went kablooey....in the new one? Eh it might still go Kablooey but Vulcan went first.

Remember, Star Trek has a multi-verse. The TNG ep Paralels confirmed this.

deboe
# Posted: 15 Aug 2009 09:41

Right. I just recently saw a TNG where they were transported to a parallel universe where the Federation alliance with the Klingons never happened and the purpose of the Enterprise was a war vessel. Guinan was able to sense that this was an alternate version of the events of the other universe because she's some kind of pan-dimensional being or something.

dierna
# Posted: 18 Aug 2009 00:43

Quoting: deboe
Right. I just recently saw a TNG where they were transported to a parallel universe where the Federation alliance with the Klingons never happened and the purpose of the Enterprise was a war vessel. Guinan was able to sense that this was an alternate version of the events of the other universe because she's some kind of pan-dimensional being or something.

That would be Yesterday's Enterprise. One of the best eps of TNG.

And Guinan can sense things cuz of the Nexus Ribbon and it's just something her people do.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.028
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0