· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Star Trek Discussions / Shatner makes Trekkie documentary
generalmax
# Posted: 25 Jul 2012 14:30

William Shatner has made a documentary film investigating just how far Star Trek fans will boldly go with their devotion to the sci-fi show.

William Shatner's Get A Life, which airs on US TV this weekend, sees the actor, famous for playing Captain Kirk in the hit space adventure, exploring just why it is Trekkies take being a fan to such an extreme.

He told the Boston Herald: "It is part of the mythology of today. We seek mythology; we're hard-wired to see a link between what we do and what we don't know to give it some meaning."

In the documentary, some fans explain their love of the TV shows and films as being inspired by Star Trek's inherent hope for a better, more unified future.

The film opens with the actor's famous Saturday Night Live appearance where he tells a bunch of costumed fans to "Get a life!"

William explained: "That was done in fun and humour and most everybody took it that way. But as I closely examined the question, I asked, Why don't they get a life?

"I ultimately concluded they go to the fan conventions to see each other. That was satisfactory until I did this documentary."

Trekkies open up their homes to show their vast collections of memorabilia and Star Trek actors reveal some of their most notable encounters with fans.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine star Terry Farrell is even shown meeting one die-hard fan, who bursts into tears at the sight of her.

Press Association

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.049
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0