· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Certified Computer-ish People Needed
rag451
# Posted: 31 May 2003 17:57

Hey, folks...

I am currently looking into the computer field as a possible career move. Right now, I'm fairly inexperienced in most of the technical aspects of the business. In the past, I have done a lot of work installing workstations and the networks that support them, troubleshooting basic software/hardware problems, and inputting data into spreadsheets. I have very limited experience with Windows 2000 and XP, both Professional. I am quite familiar with the 97 and 2000 Professional versions of Microsoft Office.

I asked around at a vocational evaluation thing that I attended on Tuesday and Wednesday (28th and 29th), and was told that I ought to seek out an A+ certification, and possibly something called an MST certification, though I do not know what exactly it is. Since I know Microsoft won't be going away, well, I think it best to stick to that area. What I was wanting to know, from the OTFers, is what you think I should research. Any help at all will be appreciated.

CL5 Robert Griffith

lzrman
# Posted: 31 May 2003 18:18

Hello Robert, found this information for you.

-----------------
A+ Certification
The CompTIA A+ certification is the industry standard for validating vendor-neutral skills expected of an entry-level computer technician.

Those holding the A+ certification have a broad base of knowledge and competency in core hardware and operating system technologies including installation, configuration, diagnosing, preventive maintenance and basic networking.

A+ and Your Career
Every business uses computers and skilled technicians are a necessity. A+ opens the door to an exciting career in computer technology at an affordable price. A+ certification is the perfect launch pad into other more challenging careers in information technology.

Employers Look for the A+ Certification
A+ Authorized Service Centers hire A+ certified employees because they know the job will get done right the first time and that saves them money. If you're A+ certified, you have a respected credential valued by the IT industry.

and its MS Certification (microsoft)

Take a look @ http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/default.asp for more info.

Lzrman :)!

rubi_con
# Posted: 31 May 2003 19:39

Robert,

Your best bet would be your A+ Hardware cert and you Net+ cert which is a certification on basic networking skills ie, cabling, protocols, topographies.

A lot of people have their MCSA, MCSE and CCNA/E/P which are for Microsoft Networks and Cisco. Truth is a diploma/degree is more desirable, at least in Canada because most employers tend to like to train their new employees in specific areas.

Occassionally having too many certs can render you overqualified and you come off as "too expensive" to propective employers.  That of course is not in all cases.  Best thing to do is check the employment trends for computer professionals in Texas to see if employers prefer formal educations AND certs or just a formal education.

Personally for myself I'm seeking out my MSCA and later on my MSCE and a few Adobe certifications but my MSCA is my focus.

quincyw
# Posted: 31 May 2003 21:39

The problem with the MCP/SE/SA certifications (I have my MCP in 2000 Server) is that Microsoft tends to release the new one in a few years. I did my MCP as part of a Diploma of Networking in the Australian Technical And Further Education (TAFE) network, as my fourth semester certification. I learned a lot of networking, operating systems and a whack of other things.

"Name" certifications are good for a first level because those are industry standards. However, the prevalence of "braindump" sites greatly devalues them. When I studied MCP questions and sat the test, I found MANY of the questions and answers almost verbatim on those "braindump" sites. It's very easy to just learn braindumps and then pay the money to get the test, as apparently quite a few people in my class did..... :v

That said, it's better to get a more rounded Diploma or even a Bachelor degree (of IT/Computer Science) and then learning anything specific your job requires. An added benefit of having a Diploma before you do a Bachelor degree at university is, it may give you credits. My Diploma of Networking gave me HALF the course on credit!

As a side note and yes, this is a shameless plug, the best overall reference sources for the Windows Operating Systems are the Microsoft Press Kit Training Books. Not only teach you the OS back to front, but are a very good teaching tool for doing your MCP/SE/SA.

mustaine
# Posted: 6 Jun 2003 09:18

A+ isn't to difficult to get I have it.  If you have a basic knowledge and have spent a good period of time with computers just working on them and such like you have.  A+ is would be a good step for you to get your foot in the door :)

rag451
# Posted: 10 Jun 2003 15:59

Thank you, everyone, for your kind suggestions. So at this point, okay, everyone thinks I should go for an A+ Certificiation. *nods* I think that's what I'll probably end up doing here real soon. I've got the links saved, and I've read up on some of it. Thanks again! :-)

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

CL5 Robert Griffith

lzrman
# Posted: 10 Jun 2003 16:08

This topic got me thinking of aquiring my A+ Certification, when i saw a add in the classifieds starting july 28th i could go for such a certificate.

I know lots about computers having this would make me stand out in the real world.

Lazy

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.015
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0