· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Jukebox
shakeycat
# Posted: 12 Jul 2003 19:25

Hi guys,

I was thinking it would be a cool idea to upgrade the jukebox such that you can select a radio station from around the world to listen to.  Most radio stations now have streaming media set up online such that people can tune in via their computers.

I've currently changed the jukebox to load a radio station such that we don't have to deal with a broken link anymore.  However, I'm opening this chat feature for discussion.  Do you like the radio station idea? Or something else?

Andrew

lzrman
# Posted: 12 Jul 2003 21:13

Go For It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!! What you/andrew did to the jukebox now is awesome!

Lazy!

lzrman
# Posted: 12 Jul 2003 23:57

http://216.220.44.38/eprise....ck.html

Is the current url for your preview :)

iain
# Posted: 13 Jul 2003 02:55

The radio station idea's brilliant! :D

If it's popular with everyone else, it could easily be expanded to allow you to switch between several radio stations. :)

Iain *listening to Jack FM*

babel
# Posted: 13 Jul 2003 04:32

What about rights? Would radio stations be happy for OTF to re-broadcast their output? I think you'd have to investigate this thoroughly, to be honest. The BBC, for example, probably wouldn't like it and would quite probably pursue legal action. Sorry to throw cold water on the idea but it's better to be safe than sorry.

anth
# Posted: 13 Jul 2003 08:59

could it be expanded to include members own input? For instance since the voice mail thread we did i have learned how to create a file, upload it, and have it play as it downloads into your media player. After a short period of time less than a minute the media player buffers and plays.

As long as you keep the download time well within the runnning lenth of your file your player will buffer and run it non stop.

So could maybe some members who are interested record a radio show for inclusion? These could be previewed and vetted for content. members could upload to their own webspace. As long as the file is not zipped. It would play on any media player.

I'm not sure how this fits it with the whole set up so far. But it's something anybody can do. Even if they made it a feature of their own homepage. :)

lzrman
# Posted: 13 Jul 2003 09:39

Babel: it would just be like visiting to there stations page.
Were not actually rebrodcasting it, where linking directly to there site so the members are visitingg therep age.

*another suggestion for canadian radio*
http://www.theiceberg.com/

Lzrman

kittykat
# Posted: 13 Jul 2003 09:49

Lzrman: you would still need to check if they are okay with that, they might not want their links on other sites.  Especially when a lot of users crashes their systems

KK

babel
# Posted: 14 Jul 2003 03:08

Better safe than sorry, Lzr, and I suspect it there is a wee bit more to it than you think. Again, to cite the BBC they have shut down sites that have pictures taken fron the BBC website, so they would hardly be likely, I think, to allow other websites to use their radio material, even if it was a link.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea; it just needs investigating to make sure it's okay with the radio stations.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.038
Online now: Guests - 6
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0