· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Is Star Trek bad for Outpost 10F?
rag451
# Posted: 15 Jul 2003 14:31

In recent months, I have begun to notice a sizeable gap between the number of visitors to Ten Forward and to the Cloud City Cantina.

To me, it seemed when important episodes of a series would air, or for instance when 'Nemesis' debuted in theaters; that more members began to chat in Ten Forward. Now though, since the disappointing box office sales of 'Nemesis' and the sharp fall in ratings for 'Enterprise'; membership and participation in Ten Forward have fallen.

Perhaps I am being too hasty; that, or I'm flat out wrong. Something, though, is causing Ten Forward to lose a lot of its numbers. So I ask, is it Star Trek's declining fan base, pushed away by two low-rated series and a lackluster box office film sale for 'Nemesis' that is at fault for the declining fans interested in joining a Star Trek chat room; or, is it that the Outpost itself is turning into more of a Star Wars chat club?

You decide.

CL5 Robert Griffith

seele01
# Posted: 16 Jul 2003 06:23

It could just be that the times you are on happens to be when people aren't in 10f.  Although Enterprise is considered to be the worst of all trek shows it isn't as bad as everyone says (to me anyway).  

But you have a point and maybe trek needs to be livened up a bit.  Activision the games company is suing Viacom (owners of paramount for those who don't know) because their poor handling of trek has resulted in less fans and that means thatthey aren't making as much money off the many trek games they have produced lately.  I'm with activision on this one, their trek games are damn good, and maybe that explains the decline in 10f.

SEELE 01

I'm done ranting.

timmy_sielu
# Posted: 23 Jul 2003 21:06

I have too agree. Man I have found Enterprise too be a real disappointment. I mean in they days of Voyager and DS9 people use too say they were not too good though I liked them and they still had a reasonable fan base. Though Enterprise have even had too stop producing Videos! I mean they made no videos for Season 2 because of the bad sales. I think that they have too start with a new trek series. I mean maybe they should create a trek series for the 24th century and then just end Enterprise!

seele01
# Posted: 24 Jul 2003 06:45

I think they'd probably just end up time warping them to the 24th century, and say that they can't return because they know about the past and would be a time riskor something, and then give them a new ship.

*shudders with realization* I am evil.

SEELE 01

nina_janeway1
# Posted: 24 Jul 2003 07:29

:( As I said before, this worries me. I love Trek and I don't want it to be like this, oh dear they must do something before it goes hangwire! I like Enterprise so I have hopes for it, I don't think they should end it but at least do some serious consideration on how season 3 is gonna be. Nevertheless, I will continue to chat in Ten Forward and hold that as my favourite OTF chatroom, cause I love Voyager and TNG and Nemesis and I don't exactly base my visits to TF on Enterprise ratings or Nemesis box office sales. :P We should chat in TF as we always have done, it doesn't matter if it's the old TOS or the newest movie, for crying out loud! I mean when I go to Personnel I check which chatroom has most people in it, so I go there, whether it's CCC or TF. So plz don't abandon Star Trek and Ten Forward. *hugs them* ;)

=/\= Lieutenant Nina Janeway =/\=
Voytrekker-85.tk

rag451
# Posted: 24 Jul 2003 09:00

Well, I'm wondering whether or not the shrinking fan base is causing a drop in our Star Trek registration numbers. Obviously the Star Wars franchise has been renewed in recent years because of the two new films that have turned into runaway success stories. Star Trek, though, has had two very poor films, two very poor television series, and one mediocre series in the last decade. I guess I'm trying to find a correlation between the two.

CL5 Robert Griffith

anth
# Posted: 24 Jul 2003 16:05

I really do not believe Enterprise is that bad. I firmly believe what we are experiancing is that "its not as good as"..or  "i dont like it as much as". Rather than a huge hatred or dislike. Nemesis was not the best Star Trek movie. But neither was Generations, or Insurection. Theres plenty of time to make the next one a great movie.

I believe that as time goes by our memories fade a little. there was some shockingly bad DS9 eps, Voyager eps and even TNG eps in the first two seasons of those shows. Season three has been a turning point for shows in the past. And i am very much looking forward to the new Enterprise episodes. I believe the fan base will grow once more. And this lull was inevitable. Following the end of the popular Voyager.

Theres no doubt Enterprise is set for a big transition. And i believe it has also suffered a little through the policy of releasing it on tape not DVD. people are not investing in VHS anymore. Collectors of sci fi for home viewing are probably buying old trek on DVD. And other series too. Another example i can think of is something i noticed today, Farscape costs a third of the price for a season box set on DVD as opposed to the DS9 seasons coming out right now. This has to be eroding the fan base.

I believe the makers of Enterprise have to work hard. The fans are by nature a picky lot. Who discuss and nit pick every episode. I've heard alot of the anti remarks leveled at Enterprise before. When TNG, DS9 and Voyager got underway. So i really am confident it will recover. And i don't care what you say..i love trek. And i like it all hugely. Theres alot of good things about Enterprise. I for one cant wait to see some of the stunning effects and imagery on DVD.

to sum up....

*sings* I got faith.....faith of the heeeeeeeart!  :P

maxwell
# Posted: 27 Jul 2003 19:51

Hi Robert,

I can't dismiss your argument because I really don't know if that explains why more people are chatting in the CCC than TF.  

From past experience I've noted that people go to the chat room with the most people in it.  People also tend to flock to rooms where the highest clearance levels are present.  It could just be the "flock" syndrome at work - a few people go to one room and people of all affiliations follow along.  If the community has a few regular die hard Star Wars fans and they're always in the CCC, I'd assume people would flock there to talk.

It's interesting to note the following site statistics that show what search strings people have used during July to find the Outpost:

Star Trek Chat: 52
Star Wars Chat: 38
Star Wars Chat Rooms: 36
Star Trek Chat Rooms: 36
Star Wars Chat Room: 32

If you add up ST and SW relevant search strings you'll find that SW edges out ST, 106 - 88.  This could support your theory - more people searching for SW right now than ST because of issues outside of OTF.  However, it's not really a significant number...

Regards,

Andrew

rabid_tribble
# Posted: 27 Jul 2003 20:49

I've noticed that too that the CCC seems to be getting more patrons of late than Ten Forward. (Perhaps the booze is better in that bar than in the other one? *L*)

However, interestingly enough, the Star Trek discussion forum is busier---much busier---than the Star Wars forum. With 150 topics started and 1192 replies (as of July 27), versus 55 topics started and 613 replies for the Star Wars Forum,  the numbers speak for themselves.

Personally, I think the Star Trek universe is alive and well. :)

wenche_from_norway
# Posted: 28 Jul 2003 03:07

I think it has nothing to do with bad star trek,or Sw has gotten better,frankly I feel the newest SW as a mejor dissepointment,and could used my money on better.
I belive pepol just go to the chat pepol are in,nothing to do with bad star trek

leeta
# Posted: 28 Jul 2003 04:32

I love startrek and star wars.. but I always spent more time in TF than the CCC mostly cos I knew thats were my friends would be.. but seeing they are rarely there anymore.. I don't bother too much with any of the chatrooms.... but I still love startrek and starwars.. though I think enterprise does suck.. so I do think in the end peeps go where their friends are and who they want to talk to ...nothing really to do with the films and tv series

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.038
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0