· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Another New Direction
rag451
# Posted: 24 Jul 2003 05:18

From Trek Today:

Enterprise was one of the hot topics at UPN's portion of the Television Critics Association press tour yesterday, with reporters asking questions about the show's ratings decline last season.

CBS chairman Les Moonves, who also oversees UPN, was asked whether he had contemplated cancelling the fifth Trek series at the end of its second season, according to a report by Michael Ausiello at TV Guide. "I don't think we were close to it," he said, "[but] everything is talked about."

Later in the day UPN unveiled its Enterprise panel, consisting of executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, as well as actors Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer), Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) and Connor Trinneer ('Trip' Tucker). The topic of the show's ailing ratings came up once again. "I don't think creatively we were doing anything wrong," Braga said.

This season, with the new alien threat, the Xindi, coming to the forefront, Enterprise will be "more action oriented, faster-paced", Braga told the gathered media. Sexier too, according to fellow executive producer Rick Berman. "T'Pol is going to start experimenting with her emotions. It's going to provide us with some fun and possibly sexy stuff," he said.

Read more about UPN at the Television Critics Association press tour at TV Guide.

From Trek Today:

Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer) Tuesday said the changes to Enterprise this year will not be skin deep.

Speaking to the Sci-Fi Wire at the Television Critics Association press tour, Bakula praised executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's efforts in retooling the series. "What you see are guys that have spent the entire hiatus trying to position the show and new scripts and new ideas, and they're rethinking everything," he said. "I'm saying to them every day, 'Think out of the box'."

Bakula's own wish for Captain Archer to toughen up in season three (story) seems to have been granted. "The idea of being the peaceful 'We-come-in-friendship' [guy]...that guy is gone," the actor said.

But Archer isn't the only character who will be changed by the Xindi's sudden attack on Earth. Commander 'Trip' Tucker, whose sister was killed in the attack, will look to Vulcan Sub-commander T'Pol for solace as he tries to deal with her death. "He may find himself more intimately involved with her than ever before," the Sci-Fi Wire said.

All this talk about the Xindi doesn't mean one of Enterprise's original storylines, the Temporal Cold War, has been forgotten. According to the report, the temporal hijinks will "become an integral part of the Xindi arc later in the season".

Further comments from the Television Critics Association press tour are available at the Sci-Fi Wire.

So, another new direction? Ratings low, fans disappearing, and Brannon Braga says, "I don't think creatively we were doing anything wrong."

What're your opinions regarding new developments in the third season of 'Enterprise'?

CL5 Robert Griffith

timmy_sielu
# Posted: 8 Aug 2003 00:37

Well yeah though in a way one word describes all these changes: D E S P R A T E! I think maybe keep Enterprise if it means that much but at lesat have a new ST series based in the 24th century so if Enterprise goes down the drain they have something too fall back on *lol* Though I would be scarred that they would stuff that up too! I dunno hopefully it can get better I guess! Though yeah when saying things like we will make it sexier it is obvious they are worried!

rag451
# Posted: 8 Aug 2003 20:46

From Trek Today:

Enterprise's mission to track down the Xindi before they destroy Earth will reportedly begin to take its toll on Captain Archer.

British sci-fi magazine SFX recently published new spoilers for the first two episodes of season three, "The Xindi" and "Anomaly" (available online via the Great Link). Their episode synopses reveal that the NX-01's commanding officer is "on edge" as the season opens, but he's not the only one, as Trip comes to terms with the death of his sister and Reed tries to deal with the presence of the MACOs.

In "The Xindi", Archer and Trip reportedly visit a mining colony in order to question a member of the Xindi working there. But when the miners take the away team hostage and plan to capture Enterprise, it's up to Reed and the MACOs to rescue the captain and engineer. The Xindi-Humanoid, wounded in the rescue attempt, reveals the location of the Xindi homeworld before he dies.

The Xindi-Humanoid's help turns out to be for naught, as the planet is deserted when Enterprise arrives: the Xindi have gone underground. Now more dangerous than ever, the various Xindi species plot the final destruction of earth.

Set approximately two weeks later, "Anomaly" revolves around an attack by a group of aliens known as the Ventaxians. The Enterprise crew drives the boarders off and follows them back to their base, a large sphere which has its own cloaking device.

When Xindi material is found on the sphere, Archer becomes obsessed about finding further information on the mysterious species. Convinced that the Ventaxians have material that could be of use in their databanks, Archer "uses airlock decompression to force the Ventaxian to reveal important codes". This reckless act leads the crew to speculate that the Delphic Expanse could be taking its toll on their captain.

Please note that this information has not been confirmed by Paramount Pictures and until such time you should treat it as you would any other rumour from an unofficial source. Further spoilers can be found here and here at the Great Link.

Thought I would post this, updating everyone on the doings of 'Enterprise'. Is anyone keeping count how many times Trip and Archer are being captured? At first, it was always Malcom getting shot at and captured, but now, gosh, it's all Archer and Trip! And what about the other episode... doesn't that sound vaguely familiar to a certain 'Voyager' episode in which the ship is stuck with nowhere to go with a bunch of marauders who survive by stealing supplies from unsuspecting, ill-equiped ships? I guess I'm just being too critical.

Robert Griffith

kittykat
# Posted: 10 Aug 2003 08:59

<!--QuoteBegin--rag451+Aug. 08 2003,20:46--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (rag451 @ Aug. 08 2003,20:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->In "The Xindi", Archer and Trip reportedly visit a mining colony in order to question a member of the Xindi working there. But when the miners take the away team hostage and plan to capture Enterprise, it's up to Reed and the MACOs to rescue the captain and engineer. The Xindi-Humanoid, wounded in the rescue attempt, reveals the location of the Xindi homeworld before he dies.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br><font color="mediumorchid"><br><br>Er havent they already done this story line to death? <br><br>How many more times can Archer and one of his crew get captured?<br><br>KK</font>

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.034
Online now: Guests - 7
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0