· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Review: 'The Xindi'
rag451
# Posted: 10 Sep 2003 19:01

"Oh my," were the final words spoken by the legendary Captain James Tiberius Kirk when he died upon the lonely, arid mountains of Veridian III. It is with the same connotation with which I offer my opinions on the first episode of the third season of 'Enterprise'.

Since the episode wasn't rife with ruinous plot holes and was genuinely entertaining; not too many complaints can be made on my part as to its entertainment value. Not only was the storyline rich with plot twists, surprises (to those who, unlike me, hadn't read spoilers), and action; it was also filled with an opulent musical score. I was pleasantly surprised by the latter, as I'd come to expect nothing but the best a shoestring budget can buy from the most overworked musicians studios can supply.

From scene to scene, the storyline moved with a cadence usually reserved for episodes with too much story in too little time. Characters didn't have to be explained with words, because it was their actions we first get to judge them on. It seems the writers expect us to already know a bit about the series, the characters, and the new direction of the show. To the extent to which 'The Xindi' is uncoiled, this method works very well. We move from scene to scene without having to worry what happened five minutes ago. It is only the present that matters.

So, with that said, I will move to what I didn't like. If you would rather not hear spoilers, then please, don't read further than you already have. . .

There were three things, minor as they are, which I found greatly disappointing and of no value to the series as a whole or to the episode in which they occured.

• The theme to the show has been changed. Even though the audience still hears Diane Warren's "Faith of the Heart"; it has been modified from a well-paced, well-written song portraying the difficulties of human exploration to, literally, folk music in space. In my humble opinion, nothing can be worse for a science fiction show, let alone one of a caliber such as Star Trek, than imagining Simon & Garfunkel playing banjo to the tune of "Faith of the Heart". By the time Connor Trinner's credit came to the screen; I was ready to walk out of the room, fingers in ears.
  • Once again, Captain Archer and Commander Tucker are captured by aliens seeking to exploit them for their own aims. They are, once again, held at gunpoint. They are, once again, aided in their escape by a fellow captive. They are, once again, rescued by an away team with Malcom Reed at its core. While the capture does provide for much of the storyline in 'The Xindi'; it also serves as a poignant reminder of all the episodes in which crew members have been captured. In a way, it made the episode feel like a puzzle. There were pieces, pre-fabricated either from previous episodes or series, all placed together to make one cozy little episode. In this case, the puzzle was one of those you see the Age 2-4 on. You know the ones I'm talking about.
  • Trip and T'Pol. Trip... and T'Pol. Trip... and... T'Pol. Trip can't relax ever since his sister's gruesome death. Overcome, overstressed, and unrested, he seeks out the help of Phlox in providing him strong depressants to knock him into a restful sleep. After several nights of this, what does Phlox do? He, of course, administers a placebo, then conveniently sends Trip to T'Pol's quarters, PADD in hand. Once there, T'Pol convinces Trip to rub her back, massaging a... hard to reach place. Without needing to, T'Pol wastes no time in disrobing and removing her top. Completely accessible to his hands, she doesn't fight his movements in the slightest. During this exchange, she moans, more seductively than from reduced pressure in her back. After Trip finishes though, T'Pol instructs him to stay. Quickly, it seems that T'Pol wishes to... return the favor. Trip turns around and is instructed to remove his shirt. At this point, Connor Trinneer shows his weakness as an actor, not bothering to fulfill his character's angst by remaining strong against T'Pol's advances. It doesn't take much coaxing for her to have him on her bed, shirt off, her hands on his back. After a few more moans, he stands, scene over.

'The Xindi' was a good opener to the third season, and an episode worth watching in reruns. I found it engaging, suspenseful, and easy to watch. While I was never on the edge of my seat rooting for my protagonist of choice; I did find myself once gripping my armchair in a moment of angst. I'd gladly recommend it to anyone who has seen the show before, knows what is going on, and has some general idea of what next week's episode will be.

Robert Griffith

nina_janeway1
# Posted: 11 Sep 2003 01:03

Wow, Robert, that was a really good and informative review! You should become a full-time reviewer, writer or something, as you have a good way in formulating what you say! Perfect English, I'd say, a Swede who thinks I'm really good in English myself :P

I'm anxious to see this episode. *kicks somewhat decreased download abilities* Even if you presented your worryness about Enterprise's eventual fall-down, it seems that you're starting to like the show a little.

I just don't think it seems so serious about that half-sex scene or what you should call it. Okay, we had season 1's 'Fusion' but at that time it was only in T'Pol's imagination. It's cool how she has hold herself until now, and with Trip of all people.... I'm a little shocked but I'm starting to think that Enterprise is even less like Star Trek now. Though I guess that once they started to implement the show into the Star Trek franchise, I guess they cannot back out now!

=/\= Nina Janeway =/\=

www.ninajaneway.tk
www.voytrekker-85.tk

jadzia_jones1
# Posted: 13 Sep 2003 01:43

Well i loved it :P... was great to watch and the themes ok ... just a little more up beat than a slow song...  and  Enterprise is WAAAAAAY better than the thunderbirds one ..yep the kirk rubbish that u can still see the strings attached !! as for deep space 9... well thats only just started to get its act together when it finished !! till then it was crappy 2...  and Voyager and Next Gen is on the same lines as Enterprise.. takes a bit of getting used 2 *l*
It must be more difficalt to do the Enterprise..as Robert said its like a jigsaw and is trying to put all of the ST together and give some back ground

Each 2 there own *l*

Nina u might not have 2 wait 2 long to see it.. Anth might have a suprise stuck up his herrrrrm jumper :P... keep watching and see what Anth has to say later *l*

* Jadzia *

kittykat
# Posted: 13 Sep 2003 09:37

Good aliens this episode :D

but what was the thing with T'Pol changing clothes?   And weren't they a bit too colourful for a vulcan?

Ooooooooh look! T'Pol takes her top off.....

"To boldly get the characters more naked than they've ever been in any other trek incarnation"

KK

neo3
# Posted: 13 Sep 2003 16:21

Frist off thanks Anth for putting on Enteprise season three openner.
I think is great, they writers are using the DS9 base which is good how they use minor storylines will over lap with the main story plus with the adding of the marnes it add a new ideas to the series.

Neo Hawkeye

timmy_sielu
# Posted: 14 Sep 2003 20:23

Well even I after reading the reviews I guess it wasn't a to bad eppy. Me living in Hawaii means I have to wait till Saturday Night (Honolulu Time) for the episodes to accually play though yeah I have to admit this was more exciting then the ones they have been showing. Though yeah and T'Pol taking her shirt off was a clear indication of them striving for ratings though I guess Voyager tried to do the same thing with 7. Anyway overall it was an interesting episode and its good to know that the series has some protential left though I have to agree with Nian saying it isn't looking or sounding more like Star Trek ~ I mean it would be good as its own TV series as some people have pointed out before. Though anyway the new theme is basically the same theme at a higher speed and makes it sound pretty bad! Though yeah I mean the storyline is getting  more complex which is good though now we have giant flies wanting to destroy the Earth!!! :D

nina_janeway1
# Posted: 15 Sep 2003 05:29

Well I have seen The Xindi now! *;)@Jadz* How? I downloaded it. I live in Sweden and here we are download freaks :P we have to be...

The episode was ok! Or maybe 'pretty good'. I feel the same as I felt after watching most of the episodes in season 2, an emptiness sorta. The Xindi's are cool, interesting and welldone, and for once they're not speaking English, but I have to point out what makes the episode only 'ok'.

1) The intro song. I despise it! Yup Timmy, the beat ruins the song completely. It reminds me of some country song with a sloppy beat, or even the TOS song! Drum beats like that doesn't belong in Star Trek. I hated Faith of the Heart when I first heard it cause it reminded me of some bad romantic  Rod Stewart ballad (I was right! It was him to wrote the song.), but then I learned to like it and now I am even singing along with it :P Until this new episode... sheesh, how long are they going to have this before they might even ruin it more?! *shakes head*

2) The "nude" scene. It was a bit embarrassing, actually. I usually don't have problems with watching stuff like this, but it simply doesn't belong in Star Trek! Just also look at the passionate scene between Riker and Deanna in Nemesis, that one is the limit for how far it should go... and yes, we did see some of Seven's shoulders and back in the VOY episodes 'Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy' and 'Q2' (extremely funny eps though). I agree with Robert that Trip in this episode is weak against T'Pol's advances... yup it's a clear indication that they only want a lotta ratings and that the show is getting further and further away from Star Trek. Enterprise makes me think of Andromeda or Babylon 5, rather than Star Trek. Or any "sexistic" space sci-fi show you can pick! Though I do like T'Pol's new look. She looks more ... leisure-like (can't pick the English word now)? Her breasts looks smaller now :P :k

3) The kidnapping. We've seen this too many times now - can't they tell about something else than Archer (and Trip) getting kidnapped and then (easily) rescued by Malcolm Reed? Time to use yer imagination, writers...

*thinks* Mmm, I have to admit that season 3 is going to be interesting. Of course 'The Xindi' had an exciting cliffhanger, and the storyline about the alien invasion is indeed.... quite exciting. Though 'Shockwave' was a much better episode.

I give this ep 3 out of 5.

=/\= Nina Janeway =/\=

www.ninajaneway.tk
www.voytrekker-85.tk

kaiserday
# Posted: 24 Sep 2003 07:47

i thought xindi was good but lacks some serious plottage.

i like the ideas of a planet based episode is ok but this would have been more suited to show a bit more of enterprise and less of them walking about a nasty planet lookin for a fingerless man.

the episode to follow was better in that is revealed a great deal about the Expanse.  It kept to the more we have to look a bit harder and work for our clues rather than hey we know where to go now!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.049
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0