· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Snow People...Snowmen...Snow THINGERS?!
nobbe
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 06:53

Hey,

Recently at my coop there's been a debate on langage sparked by the gender inclusive clause of the school board. Apparently, it's now incorrect to refer to 'Snowmen' as such...so, we need to come up with a great new name for them. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. This is quite important.

Commander Nobbe

lupus
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 07:25

Snowperson
Snoerson
Snowthing
Snowhuman

A three dimesional representation of a human made out of snow :P

Lupus

crazytexan
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 07:35

Either I've lost my mind or experiencing deja vu. I have seen this question come up in past forum posts around this time of the year over the past few years...

Gather 'round kiddies, 'ol Uncle CT is going to tell you a story.

I would think "snowperson" is the acceptable politically correct term, but that varies as to how you construct said snowperson. If he has snowballs then it is a snowman. A snow woman is self-explainitory in shape and design. :)

Hmmm...good to see the school board focus on such a hot topic of gender inclusiveness of snowpersons in lieu of updating textbooks, providing additional funding to the arts, music, and science programs, improving student services, increasing the salries of the teachers, etc...  Let's hear it for being P.C. :P

Go outside and make snow angles, frolic in the snow, and have a snowball fight with friends Nobbe. That's much more fun. ;)

nobbe
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 08:14

Loads of help Tex. ;)

:P I'm not sure how to tell that to the Special Events Coordinator of the City to Cancel the Snowmen building Challenge for Guiness Book of World Records.

jadzia_jones1
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 08:20

it maybe *politically correct* 2 call them *snowperson*...but its a snowman for gowd sake.. *lol* ... why is it that all the fun is taken out of something so simple as a snow man?
why worry about what 2 call it? as CT says...go out and build one..have some fun..rather than worry about if its *politically correct*

call it a snow peep if u have 2 call it something :P *l*

michiel
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 11:41

They are snowdemons... They must be melted, and cast back to the hells from which they came. :) Snow is evil.

Michiel

deanna
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 13:09

Hey be really twisted and refer to said "Snow Gender Neutral Beings" as ........"Snow Flakes" and tell that Council whoever they are, you are now naming them after them.

"Snow Flakes" *nods*

rpmobsession
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 14:39

<!--QuoteBegin--michiel+Dec. 09 2003,11:41--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (michiel @ Dec. 09 2003,11:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->Snow is evil.<br><br>Michiel<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>YES!! Snow is VERY evil!! Yay for heat and taking clothes off!! Boo for cold and putting clothes on! *lol*<br><br>-A Heat Perferred RPM

smile
# Posted: 9 Dec 2003 21:15

Being a female and representing no one but myself, though I think others may agree, I am in no way offended that you call them snowmen. I typically make snowmen, not snowwomen. If I made a snowwomen, then I would name her as such. But as the time being, I take no offense. Snow is great!

shakeycat
# Posted: 10 Dec 2003 00:56

My snowmen don't have certain male attributes, so I guess they're actually snowwomen.

Oh, the reason I actually wrote a post though...

This argument that 'snowmen' is politically incorrect really doesn't make much sense. Who is offended when you call them snowmen? The snowmen certainly aren't. I could understand 'fisherman' being incorrect to describe a woman who fishes, as she could be offended and in fact is not a man. But snow 'men' have no gender, unless you decide they do. They are art - sculpture, and if the artist says it's a snowman, why not?

-Tanya

missmaul
# Posted: 10 Dec 2003 01:34

Why not call them snowpuppets. It's not alive, is it? And when it is alive you can always ask them whether they're male of female.

MM

lupus
# Posted: 10 Dec 2003 02:45

Snowsculptures

:)

nobbe
# Posted: 10 Dec 2003 10:43

If you must know what the situation is...

My cooperative educational work placement is at the City of Owen Sound Special Events department. We have a winter festival called snoBLAST and we wanted to go for the Guiness World Record for most snowmen built in an hour... So, naturally, we wanted to involve the schools in this event BUT the schools WOULD NOT PARTICIPATE with any reference to snowmen because it's not gender inclusive. *Shurg* in other words, we had to find a term that was gender inclusive... we settled on Sno Pals... *shivers* Pathetic.

kassandra
# Posted: 10 Dec 2003 16:29

no matter what you call them they're evil.  There's something unnatural about Snowmen.  Especially if they dance and sing.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.018
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0