· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / 'Star Trek' Recollections
rag451
# Posted: 31 Jan 2004 16:29

Greetings!

I thought I'd create a thread having nothing to do with TNG, DS9, VGR, or ENT. I want a place for us to discuss the original series. So, here's how it goes. . . We go down the list of episodes, starting with "The Cage" and tell a little thing about that episode we liked.

Robert Griffith

rag451
# Posted: 31 Jan 2004 16:38

In "The Cage," Captain Pike journeys to Talos IV after receiving a faint distress call from a ship that crashed there two decades before. Soon after arriving, though, the landing party discover that they've been lured into a trap. Captain Pike is taken prisoner and caged with Vina, a woman he is to procreate with so that the Talosians may study Humans.

What I liked about "The Cage" was that the protagonist, Captain Pike, showed how advanced Humans had become by the 23rd Century, but still had the same problems most people had in the 20th Century. Pike struggled with the death of a crewman and his own mortality on Rigel VII. That all too human struggle was personified when the Talosians read his thoughts and put he and Vina on Rigel in the same circumstances of the mission that nearly cost Pike his life.

Captain Pike was an amalgam for the human condition. He was a strong leader with the convictions of advanced man, but still faced the same burdens as those of the past.

Robert Griffith

babel
# Posted: 1 Feb 2004 04:30

I thought that Pike was a mirror for how Kirk might feel after so long in Command. In Wrath of Khan, we saw a Kirk after two five-year missions and a stint at the Academy. He was worn down and depressed, much like Pike was in 'The Cage'. There were different reasons, though; Kirk was beginning to atrophy behind a desk and felt he no longer 'made a difference', whereas Pike was suffering from the fatigue of being in the centre seat for too long without a break.

I really enjoy the scene between Pike and Boyce, where the doctor scorns Pike's comment that he might retire. A nice precursor to the Kirk/Bones friendship.

The Talosions were TERRIFIC 'bad' guys andf the fact they weren't so bad was a nice twist and showed that your enemy might be your friend under different circumstances. The Talosians were driven be a desperate need, they were not evil, just desperate. We understood that at the end and Trek was all about understanding.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.015
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0