· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / W32.Netsky.B
iain
# Posted: 21 Feb 2004 15:36

Netsky.B is a new worm that is spreading in an identical way to the recent MyDoom worm - by mass emailing to email addresses found on an infected computer. On infection, a dialogue box reading The file could not be opened! will be displayed.

Most virus scanners, if up-to-date, should be able to detect this worm, but to further reduce the chance of infection, do not open any unexpected email attachments that you receive. Also, as the 'From' header of infected emails is spoofed, please don't reply to any infected emails that you do receive to inform the person that their computer is infected - it is likely that the person you email is not infected, but a third person, who has both your and the person you've emailed's email addresses on their computer, is infected.

Further information about the worm is available from Sophos and Symantec, and Symantec has a free Removal Tool available for download.

Iain

maxwell
# Posted: 8 Mar 2004 11:08

Hi,

Just so everyone knows all mail sent to an OTF address - both full mailbox and alias accounts - will be checked for viruses.  If our server detects a virus it will remove it and place {VIRUS?} in the subject line of the email.

This feature has worked wonderfully in the past and has done a lot to protect our membership from being infected.  If you are able to obtain an OTF email address I suggest you do.  You can see if you're eligible by visiting the Profile Management System and then selecting "Email Options" from the menu.

Regards,

Andrew

demonvamp
# Posted: 8 Mar 2004 14:14

Okay, this may sound stupid, but I'm still new enough to computers to not be sure about some things and after all the mydoom stuff I received through outpost mailing hubs I want to be cautions.

Outlook express, does it automatically open attatchments when you click on the mail subject or sender part, or do you actually have to click on the paperclip?

QD, nervy :}

kevkc
# Posted: 8 Mar 2004 15:47

Hi QD,

I say this with 95% certainty-the 5% being that you might have some strange settings or version ;)

No, you have to actually click on the file-usually, this will then present a dialogue asking you if you are sure you want to open the file or save it to the disk as well as giving the "some files may contain viruses" spiel.

If you have recieved an attachment from someone you know-and it doesnt look to be a virus (eg. it's something that you asked them for), the best policy would be to save it to your hard disk but do not open the file until it's been scanned with an up-to-date virus scanner.

Also, on the open attachment dialogue, there is a checkbox for "always ask before opening this kind of file" checkbox which I'd recommend you keep checked.

Remember that if you're in any doubt as to the authenticity of a file, err on the side of caution and don't open it.

If anyone has any questions of a security nature, don't hesitate to post it here in the security forum and we'll do our best to help!

Thanks,
KC
Intell ATFL

kevkc
# Posted: 8 Mar 2004 16:03

As an addendum to the earlier post, It may be a good idea to take the following steps to increase your email security. Im not sure what exactly this will block, but it will certainly block .exe and presumably .pif -the two main virus spreading extenstions.

In Outlook Express, go to the Tools Menu and select Options.
On the security tab, make sure that both the "warn me when other applications try to send mail as me" box and the "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be viruses" box are checked. This way, no matter how drunk you are, there's someone making sure that you arent going to infect yourself with "COMPERASE.D" ;)

Thanks,
KC
Intell ATFL

demonvamp
# Posted: 8 Mar 2004 17:36

Okay, thanks ever so much KC :)

*tootles off to update her virus scanner too* :)

Queen Demon.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.019
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0