· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Sharing Network Printers with Windows XP
rag451
# Posted: 2 Jan 2004 22:16

Greetings!

My mother has an HP 1200 laser printer and I have a Dell Inkjet Printer J740. Our computers are connected through a Linksys Router linking network cables to each of our PCs from the DSL box.

Here's my question. . .

How do I see her printer so that I can print from her laser printer?

Both of our computers have been set up to share printers. I know the name of my PC and the name of hers. What I don't know is, from that point, where to link them up.

Hope somebody can help!

Robert Griffith

stav219
# Posted: 3 Jan 2004 10:47

Hi Robert, since you don't specify what OS you're using on either machine I'll attempt to give you a Noddy's guide, as it were~

Firstly, install the printer drivers on whichever machine you intend to print from (which I assume is yours)... Depending on the software it may well ask you whether the printer is local or networked. If that's the case, simply specify that it's a network printer and the name and address of the printer and it should autodetect it. The address should be in the form of \\NAME\PRINTER, where "NAME" would be the name of your mother's computer and "PRINTER" would be the name of the printer... If it doesn't ask whether it's a local or network printer, once the software's installed, go to your "printers" folder in the start menu or control panel and set it up manually by right clicking on the installed printer, clicking "properties" in the context menu and you'll be presented with the means with which to set your printer up. On the initial screen, move the prompt to the "location" box and do as above (\\NAME\PRINTER) and hey presto! Robert's your mother's brother :D

You may also have to set up the ports manually, too... If that's the case, post back and I'll give you some more details.  ;)

Enjoy!

Tin-Char D'Un

gusto5
# Posted: 3 Jan 2004 11:39

or else:

go to each computer and make the printers sharable
make sure the workgroup is the same (default from install is workgroup)
install the driver printers on both computers
PRESTO

:P

rag451
# Posted: 3 Jan 2004 11:46

Look at the title of the thread, Tin. I said we use XP. =P Well, it's XP Professional. . .

I have the workgroup set up, know the names of the PCs, have them set to share, and am working from there.

When I go into Printers/Faxes (or whatever the menu is called), I 'Add a Printer,' select 'A network printer...,' and then input my data into the field. When I do, it comes up with an error message reading, "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the network." From there, I'm lost.

Robert Griffith

stav219
# Posted: 3 Jan 2004 15:23

Right, shows how much attention I pay...  :v

Open your "printers and faxes" folder and delete anything pertaining to the HP1200, then stick the driver disk in your machine and install it from there. Once the software's on your machine, set it up manually.

You'll need to specify an address in the "general" tab as discussed before, specify a name for the printer in the "sharing" tab and make sure that name and the name in the "general" tab are the same.

Now, if that doesn't work, go back to the "printers and faxes" folder and, once again, delete any trace of the HP1200 and then click "add new printer". When asked for the printer location go to your mother's computer and check the properties of the printer installed on her machine ~ look at the "sharing" tab, make sure it's set up to share and make a note of the name of the printer. Next, go back to your computer and input the address exactly as it appeared on your mother's computer eg: \\HAL\Lexmark (just an example, that's the name for mine)...

If it doesn't work now, there's something else wrong there... contact me on Messenger or somesuch and I'll walk you through it, step by step.

Tin-Char D'Un

P.S. Don't forget to disable any firewalls you may have running as this could be interfering with the installation. Just a thought...

jd
# Posted: 26 Jan 2004 19:49

You could pick up a network adaptor for the printer itself....

stav219
# Posted: 29 Jan 2004 10:30

's okay JD, problem's solved now  ;)

Tin-Char D'Un

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.029
Online now: Guests - 7
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0