· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Windows
robin
# Posted: 21 Aug 2003 00:34

Hey,

I have win xp pro, mine take around 10 seconds to shut down too i reckon, cause i saves personal settings and stuff like that.

When I had XP home and before that Win98, when i shut down, the computer turned itself off, now with xp pro its says "it is now safe to turn off your computer' is there a way to make it turn itself off?

Robin

seele01
# Posted: 20 Aug 2003 05:43

That might explain why mine takes so long.  I have norton internet security running.

This technet sounds interesting, might go have a look.

SEELE 01

demonvamp
# Posted: 13 Aug 2003 06:08

It's windows xp home. And I don't think there are that many programs on it. But thanks for the advice :)

Maybe I'll have a good clear out of my folders and see if that helps ;)

Queen.

seele01
# Posted: 13 Aug 2003 05:53

First off lately there haven't been many tech problems lately so at least your keeping this forum alive with your wuestions.  Secondly, what operating system are you using?

I have XP pro and it takes quite a while to shut down, at least 10 seconds maybe more, while on my old compy running 98 it barely took a second.

Strange thing is that this compy is a P4 2.4 and my old compy was a P1 200.

Anyway, we'll see what other people have to say.  Maybe they can make mine shut down faster.

SEELE 01.

markus_2003
# Posted: 18 Aug 2003 10:30

You'd be surprised how many processes Windows XP has executing at any one time, and they all have to close before shutdown :( Some software packages such as Norton Antivirus (for exaple) have quite a frew processes just from the one program. Not that I'm any great expert, I just browse microsoft's tecnet from time to time...

Is this a general slowdown, or just on shutdown?

lzrman
# Posted: 12 Aug 2003 13:27

One Reason maybe, that with the more space u take, there would be more programs shutting down.

Lzrman

demonvamp
# Posted: 12 Aug 2003 05:11

Sorry to keep swamping the place with questions, but my computer's gone mad. Before I had my hard disc replaced it used to shut down very quickly, now it takes an age. Any suggestions?

And we won't go into why there's more disc space taken up than previously... one annoying thing at a time.

Queen of the Universe but not, it would seem, computers :(

seele01
# Posted: 21 Aug 2003 07:44

If your comp did it with 98 it probably isn't the BIOS but XP.  I've had a look in my control panel but can't find anything.  If your case is ATX it should know it, and shut down on its own.  

Sorry i couldn't provide more help.

Actually found something, look in power options on your control panel.  If there is a tab that says APM it should allow you to set the option of windows shutting down automatically.  If not then i have no idea.

SEELE 01

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.055
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0