· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Networking
iain
# Posted: 13 Jun 2004 12:19

Please post here questions about networking.

lzrman
# Posted: 13 Jun 2004 21:26

How do you access a Windows XP Pro Drive from a windows 98 machine, usinga DI-624 Router?

I can access the 98 drives ok but comes to XP :P more access rights involved.

Lzrman

logan
# Posted: 15 Jun 2004 00:46

The problem is Windows XP Pro automatically creates it's route shares with access to Administrators only.  As it is pro, within a working environment you would have Network Administrators and this would be a perfect situation.  Unfortunately you can not change the permissions on the route share.  I know what you are thinking now "I'm an administrator on both machines" problem with that is SID's System Identification Codes.  Each user id has it's own unique SID, so although the user ID's are the same the SID's are not.  The way around this, on the XP machine, create a new share (right click the folder you want to share, and click the Sharing tab) and tick the box saying "Share this folder on the network" and then enter your share name.  If you want to be able to modify files from the 98 machine too then tick the box saying "Allow network users to change my files"  This should allow anyone with access to your privite network access to this folder.  If not just shout, as I could have sworn I had to make the folder available to "everybody" but I can't find that option, so perhaps I am thinking of a different scenario.

Mark

lzrman
# Posted: 15 Jun 2004 10:44

ill try that out and give u a shout =P
just hoping a password box w/ username pops up because this is a privately marked user :k folder

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.029
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0