· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Daleks... Exterminated!
quincyw
# Posted: 2 Jul 2004 04:05

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/cult/news/drwho/2004/07/02/12671.shtml

Doctor to face new enemy in the new series.

Christopher Eccleston's Doctor will face a new, deadly foe in the new series, after talks between Terry Nation's estate and the BBC over the rights to the Daleks broke down earlier this week.

The BBC said, "After lengthy negotiations, the BBC and the Terry Nation Estate have been unable to reach agreement on terms for the use of the Daleks in the new series of Doctor Who. These rights are jointly held, and the terms need to be mutually agreed between us.

"The BBC offered the very best deal possible but ultimately we were not able to give the level of editorial influence that the Terry Nation Estate wished to have."

Speaking about the loss, executive producer and chief writer Russell T Davis said, "We're disappointed the Daleks won't be included but we have a number of new and exciting monsters.

"And I can confirm we have created a new enemy for the Doctor which will keep viewers on the edge of their seats."

The Daleks were not available for comment.

Quincy's note: Maybe the new villains will be in keeping with the new Twenty First century modernising of everything... Maybe the new villains will be the media :P

On a serious note... How the heck could they not have the Daleks?! That's part of the Doctor Who legend! Sure... The Daleks (and the Cybermen) were effectively misused to great lengths, but they should at least have something worthy! Bring back the Daleks! :o  :(

skull_leader
# Posted: 2 Jul 2004 07:05

My understanding is that the Autons, an old nemesis of Pertwee's Doctor, are being revamped for an early story.

Can't imagine a Dalek-less Who either! And also wondering who's gonna fill Tony Ainley's considerable shoes...  :(

quincyw
# Posted: 3 Jul 2004 14:44

I know... I hadn't seen any Anthony Ainley works (or, if I did, it was a decade ago and I forgot it all...), but I still felt so sad at his passing...

And I haven't heard this rumor, but I do know that the Official BBC Past Doctor books (don't ask me where, I can't find it at this moment) has the Nestenes/Autons (the Nestenes are the energy creatures, the Autons are the living mannequins) pitted against the Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) in a new/upcoming novel.

There's really not many great villains... The Cybermen were even worse than the Daleks, just take the thing that fires gold (Glitter Gun?) and they're kaput...

The Ice Warriors would've made a delightful menace (I saw Troughton's/Second Doctor The Seeds of Death) and while looking a bit Godzilla-ish, they were formidable and fearsome... Then I saw Pertwee's/Third Doctor's The Curse of Peladon and the green made them look purely Godzilla... :(

Maybe the Nimons... :? "Loooooooooord Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimon!" :P

PS I finally finally finally got my hands on the Doctor Who Magazine: The Complete First Doctor and it is brilliant. It's worth it just for the stunning pictures alone!

PPS I'm a huge First Doctor fan, in case anyone missed it... :P

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.020
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0