· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Chess Tournament
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
fat_man
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 10:29

Hello, now I suppose you are wondering Whats gonnna happen now thats what this thread is for, i didn't want to fill up your inboxes with big long chain e-mails so I felt this was the best way of explaining whats happening now.

Well due to the Distances and differences in timezones the fact remains is that we can't all be online at the same times to play each other. To this end We are gonna be Using http://www.itsyourturn.com Now if everyone could please sign up (its under Visitors) and create user id (pick the free one) we can begin.  Remmeber to post your names on itsyourturn on this thread as well

Here is how its gonna go you'll be able to challenge everyone in your group (at the same time if you are really amazing) but its easer to play one match at a time. if you haven't visited the groups page i suggest you do so now.

The points go 2 for a win and 1 for a draw (the first group stage only)  if you draw someone please send me a screen shot of the final page. and remmeber to post your results here.

Then i goes to straight knockout to the final with a 3rd place play off.

I think thats it any problems e-mail don't understand my ramblings e-mail me. with that done good luck everyone

stav219
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 10:44

M'kay, all registered and ready to go... my username is the_tin.

Now what? We email someone from our group and challenge them?

Tin-Chess D'Umb.

hobbie
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 10:58

mine is a_hobbie.  :)

xemxija
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 12:47

a chess tournament? I guess it's too late to sign up for it...?

fat_man
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 12:57

yeah once everyone has registered (it shouldn't take too long if everyone is computer literate or literate for that matter) you'd go to "New Game" then "Invite a specific user to play a game" chess is already picked then next then put in the username of the person of whom you want to play. Remember its Case Specific.

My User ID is very Easy to Remmeber its Fat Man (just incase its needed)

jpicard
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 14:28

Registered. Username is OTF_JP. I look foward to playing!

Regards,
JP

brady
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 18:32

I am brady_j

*challenges Tin*  I will crush you with my prawns...

voyman
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 20:24

And I am signed up as voyman.  JP, I challange you!

(not to sure about playing in this format...I kinda like real-time playing).

lucient
# Posted: 3 Oct 2004 22:12

mine is lucientus

Luc

fat_man
# Posted: 4 Oct 2004 13:10

Yeah Deboe I know what you mean but there is a major time difference between folks :(

Othernews Bug can't play anymore so I kknow Qatt wants to play so she will take his place  :)

xemxija
# Posted: 4 Oct 2004 15:18

yes, I think this tournament needs a female! :P

so...from now on..just consider me a girly lzr?  :v  :?

anyway, I'm xemmy at the site.

jpicard
# Posted: 4 Oct 2004 17:17

Quatt: I can't accept your challenge. I am already playing with Voyman. You can challenge Luc though. ;)

Regards,
JP

dommy
# Posted: 5 Oct 2004 05:39

Mine is DoMmY

I have to agree about the format though :)

greetings

robin
# Posted: 5 Oct 2004 08:55

the_robin

i r teh chess god! :o

*challanges*

ajcardall
# Posted: 5 Oct 2004 10:13

ajcardall

hehe :k

ohm
# Posted: 5 Oct 2004 20:35

I saw the "recent" updates board notice and so I suppose it is a little to late to join the tornament? If not let me know I am registered under the handle of:

pohm

Thanks all.

xemxija
# Posted: 6 Oct 2004 14:25

Okay... Do we have some sort of time limit? Because I've now been waiting 2 days for Luc to make a move. At this pace we'll be done in a couple of years time.

david1
# Posted: 7 Oct 2004 05:28

mine is xgermz :?

just for clarifiication ... anyone who plays me ... ill only be able to be online mondays untill fridays ...  so youll have weekends off :D

XZ - XgermZ

secretly
# Posted: 7 Oct 2004 10:01

Just so y'all know... Iain is due to be online on Friday, ish, so he'll sort his ID out then ;)

Good Luck Everyone!!

- Kooki, watching from the sidelines :P

sg8472
# Posted: 7 Oct 2004 11:06

I can't play chess. :( I might, if I feel like it, try and learn and some stage.... dependent on if I am still interested. :D

SG

fat_man
# Posted: 9 Oct 2004 12:08

Folks aren't posting results  :P i need them to see who will progress through

xemxija
# Posted: 9 Oct 2004 12:46

fat man,

well, I'm not posting any results as the game is moving sloooowly. Did you see my question about a time limit? If you see this Luc, is there a possibility you could speed it up? Waiting gets on my nerves. We could set a time or something...

jp and voyman,

can't you guys play me now? it's not like you can only focus on one game when it's like this by correspondence.

voyman
# Posted: 10 Oct 2004 08:06

Here are the results for me so far.

Me v.s. JP -- http://members.outpost10f.com/~voyman/victory.jpg
Me v.s. Luc -- In Progress
Me v.s. Qatt -- In Progress

I'll keep you updated as things progress.

JP and I were able to play almost in real-time because we were online at the same time, chatting and tagging each other  when it was their turn.

FM: Perhaps Ent could create a full OTF chess program, thus not requiring us to go to third-party site to play(and not have that stinking 25 move/day limit rule).  I've got a proposal in the works already.

lucient
# Posted: 10 Oct 2004 10:39

<!--QuoteBegin--voyman+Oct. 10 2004,08:06--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (voyman @ Oct. 10 2004,08:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->FM: Perhaps Ent could create a full OTF chess program, thus not requiring us to go to third-party site to play(and not have that stinking 25 move/day limit rule).  I've got a proposal in the works already.<br><br>~ Voyman<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>I will second this idea in a heartbeat<br><br>Luc

fat_man
# Posted: 10 Oct 2004 12:19

Yeah its a great idea  :)

The reason i set this up was to just test the water to see if such a project could run in OTF

Your my guniea pigs...
as to a time limit if a game isn't finished after 2 weeks its declared a draw.

I'm talking to one of the owners of Itsyourturn to let us do more turns per day temporary but don't hold your breath  :(

xemxija
# Posted: 10 Oct 2004 15:56

a draw??? so you're saying that even if I'm kicking someone's butt and that person decides not make more than a move or two a day, it's a draw? well, that just sucks.

brady
# Posted: 10 Oct 2004 21:02

woops, my game with DaveTin timed out.  So I lose.  =(  Although, I was in the process of hammering him with my prawns.  *nods*  

The whole process is a little bit too slow for me.  If something was developed where we could play in real-time a little bit faster (and finish a game in one sitting) I'd be interested.

B

david1
# Posted: 11 Oct 2004 01:06

<!--QuoteBegin--brady+Oct. 10 2004,21:02--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (brady @ Oct. 10 2004,21:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->woops, my game with DaveTin timed out.  So I lose.  =(  Although, I was in the process of hammering him with my prawns.  *nods*  <br><br>The whole process is a little bit too slow for me.  If something was developed where we could play in real-time a little bit faster (and finish a game in one sitting) I'd be interested.<br><br>B<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br><font color="yellow"> there is a place where you can play in real time ... however this draws another problem that not every1 lives in the same timezone ... and this will make it ackward for both players if they are limited to what times they can be online ... that why this site was chosen to hold the tournament because it would be fair on all persons from every timezone ... and unless your playing against someone in your timezone ... in that case you could use yahoo games and play chess there ... you will have to use the website for the game!<br><br></font> XZ - XgermZ

hobbie
# Posted: 11 Oct 2004 05:00

Well, even with different time zones, it's always possible to work out something during the weekends. It beats doing one or two moves every day. I suggest playing on a live game whenever possible, or changing to a play by turn site where you're not limited. There are quite a few of those if you do a search on google.  :)

And I gave my results directly to FM, but if anyone's interested. Hobbie beat AJ and Jack. Don't ask me how he managed that.  :?

voyman
# Posted: 11 Oct 2004 09:17

It would be my suggestion that  should a OTF Chess game be developed , it should be developed in-house.

Why?  First, dealing with other peoples code can be extreemly frusterating.  It's usually easier to develope completely new, as well as being able to add all the features you want.  Next, it wouldn't be to hard to program.  Use the OTF login table for user verification, and use the officer ID's to keep track of who's moved, and what piece from where to where.  A few checks to make sure the King isn't in, or will be in check/checkmate.  Piece movement would be listed in sets of functions, i.e:

function movePawn($movetype) { //$movetype is 0 for normal, 1 for capture, and 2 fo enpassent(spelling?).
}

Where was I?  Oh yeah, why it's better to keep it in-house.  We wouldn't have to worry about keeping other peoples name on the credit list.  Finally, Outpost 10F pride.  Something we made.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.102
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0