· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Doctor Who gets a new logo
quincyw
# Posted: 18 Oct 2004 20:47

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2004/10/18/14927.shtml

The new logo was created by Louise Hillam, Alison Jenkins and Hywel Roberts at the Graphic Design team at BBC Wales, with Luke Davies and Paul Humphrey at Insect Design working on the background.

You'll be seeing it in action on screen, online, and in print next year.

A trademark application for the new logo has been applied for.

Quincy's thought Oh... My... Freaking... Goodness. :? My facial expression resembled ":?" for ten minutes after I saw it. It looks absolutely smashing. :? Even if it does remind me of Farscape. :P

skull_leader
# Posted: 19 Oct 2004 08:34

I'm liking this logo!!! Way to bring the Doc into the 21st Century. And if anyone's looking for theme music, may I humbly suggest the arrangement used for the Big Finish Eighth Doctor audios?

teekay
# Posted: 19 Oct 2004 12:00

Ah, so I am not the only one who is reminded of Farscape! :D

It does look smashing, but also a bit unexpected. It is a great logo, but do I like it for Doctor Who? ;) Ah, I'll get used to it no problem I think!

And I second the Big Finish 8th Doctor Audio theme music!

quincyw
# Posted: 19 Oct 2004 16:46

Bleh, sometimes I poke myself. I loved Scarf Boy (Fourth Doctor) as a kid, but there was a massive absence (as Star Trek took over). I'm only now catching up... What is the Eighth Doctor theme from the audio adventures? Is it anything like the Movie theme?

However, I feel that each era should have something different in its approach and feel, much like how the Doctor is himself different with each incarnation. Each particular title sequence and music is pretty well tailored to the year they appeared in.

Example, very 'live' and mellow for the First, Second, Third and Fourth; soft rock for the Fifth; something very electronic keyboard for the Sixth; sound effects for the Seventh; a very triumphal grand affair for the Eighth; an electronic, rather techno one for the Animated.

Just like how the Animated Doctor has something different, like in Scream of the Shalka, I think the Ninth Doctor should have something similar. Maybe Orbital's interpretation? :D

teekay
# Posted: 20 Oct 2004 00:05

Dare I say it?
I hope they take the Theme Music as played during the opening ceremonies of last year's Panopticon. That so totally rocked! :D

quincyw
# Posted: 20 Oct 2004 16:25

Well as I said, each era has had a title sequence and theme which reflects the society/culture of the time.

So, just like the logo, I think we'll get something very techno like.

teekay
# Posted: 21 Oct 2004 00:40

A techno version of the theme tune? :?

A quote here seems appropriate.
"This can't be how it ends! Stop it! Please! STOOOOOP!!!"

:)

teekay
# Posted: 21 Oct 2004 10:50

You consider Orbital techno?  Oh well in that case...
("Techno" to me is something else, but that's off topic *S*)

And yeah, I hate smartarses. :P I should have said, "something that sounds as cool as that Panopticon theme". Remind me to consider my words more carefully next time. :D

quincyw
# Posted: 21 Oct 2004 16:08

*Coughs loudly* What I meant by "Techno" was, yes, perhaps a bit of Orbital, but a simple example would be from Scream of the Shalka. Something like that would be pretty good for this era.

quincyw
# Posted: 23 Oct 2004 16:22

*Clicks fingers* Ah, yes, my dear boy, dance, that was the word I'm looking for. Hmm. Yes, indeed, yes, hmm. :D

Sorry. I had to channel the First Doctor there for a minute.

I now vote we use the alternate Third Doctor theme! :D Babel, I went to that Doctor Who Wav Archive site and it's brilliant! :D

Just as some background, the Alternate Third Doctor theme was created on a Delaware synthesiser but proved very unpopular with everyone but the creator.

This would've been the end of the story... Except the Alternate Third Doctor theme was actually imprinted on one of the episodes (I think the second episode) of the Third Doctor serial Carnival of Monsters.

So anyway, go listen! Skippy meets Doctor Who! :D  :P

quincyw
# Posted: 24 Oct 2004 04:10

I love the Alternate Third Doctor theme (click on the link)! :D It sounds just a fraction like the Sixth Doctor theme (the "rub a dub dub" and not the Fifth Doctor's soft rock), if he was a hippie... Or that his mood really matched his outfit. :D

It was playing all night up until about half past midnight when I fell asleep on the keyboard (literally). I laughed for hours. It was superb! An absolute musical masterpiece! :D

And I'm actually being serious here!

dierna
# Posted: 25 Oct 2004 11:26

I have some questions about this new logo:

What on earth has the eye of Sauron got to do with Dr. Who??? Does he go to middle earth to get the one ring??? :?

quincyw
# Posted: 25 Oct 2004 16:12

It's the eye of the Bearded One! The Master has made his mark on the new show! :?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.035
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0