· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / CD Drive broken..
wedge
# Posted: 9 Nov 2004 12:26

Alrighty..

I got a dell laptop, and suddenly the CD drive stopped working on it. It doesn't start spinning when i Put the CD in either. The light on it flashes several times then stops.. and an error message appears on the screen telling me I have an "I/O device error" or something similar..

This suddenly started happening on the Drive i was using as a replacment, too... anyone know what could be wrong?

seele01
# Posted: 10 Nov 2004 05:31

This may be stupid, but the CD drive is still installed, drivers and all right, i mean in the device manager?

wedge
# Posted: 10 Nov 2004 13:13

Yeah.. all seems to be there.. and it says they're working properly, too.

seele01
# Posted: 11 Nov 2004 04:34

Just for clarification, did this only start happening when you started using the replacement drive or some time after installing the replacement drive??

wedge
# Posted: 11 Nov 2004 13:58

The first one started doing this before I installed the replacment drive. The second one was fine for a month or so... then it also started doing it.

seele01
# Posted: 15 Nov 2004 04:47

Well you have me stumped, but i'm looking for an answer.

The fact that this has happened twice suggests something wrong with your laptop.  It could be some software installed as well but i think thats is less likely.

Anyway i'll let you know if anything is discovered but you could probably try and see what dell have to say about it.

wedge
# Posted: 15 Nov 2004 14:11

Alrighty! Thanks! =)

I've tried Dell already, they've been extremly difficult to get to coperate thus far.. but I will try again soon.

Paul

stav219
# Posted: 18 Nov 2004 12:01

Ahoy!

If it's happening with both drives, I'd be inclined to say it was your IDE controller that's borked - which is integrated onto your motherboard - rather than it being a software error.

It could well be that the IDE drivers for your motherboard are corrupted, but that being the case, you'd have hard drive issues as well, most likely. Since you don't report such issues, I'd still lean towards your motherboard being broken.

It's not uncommon, but it's not easy to fix, either. You're probably looking at a new motherboard...

Just my two penneth,

Tin.

wedge
# Posted: 18 Nov 2004 16:16

blargh. :P alrighty, thanks.. =)

I'll be going without CD drives for a while now, i guess :P

eagle
# Posted: 18 Nov 2004 22:24

*nods at Tin*
Could be the BIOS settings though... I'd be inclined to flash those and check the IRQs before the board, for obvious reasons.

stav219
# Posted: 19 Nov 2004 10:38

Hey,

Beagle says true - it could well be a BIOS error... Something I hadn't thought of. However, I'd strongly advise against flashing your BIOS unless a) you know what you're doing and are confident enough to do so, and/or b) an updated BIOS specifically addresses that problem. Otherwise, don't bother - you screw up and you will need a new board. *l*

In all likelyhood, IRQ settings won't come into play at all, since they're all auto-assigned nowadays. It may be worth having a butchers in the BIOS, though, just to see if anything's been tampered with.

Another possibility, which has been known to occur with laptops equipped with enhanced power-saving features, is that the Operating System (presumably Windows XP, but you didn't say...) will switch certain hardware off, or put it into a very low power state, to save battery life. It could well be that the OS isn't waking the hardware up properly, and thuse causing your "I/O Error". If that is indeed the problem, there's probably an article and/or workaround for it on the Windows support site.

Tin.

logan
# Posted: 24 Nov 2004 17:12

To draw this one to a close, or at least a little closer to a resolution.  Dell Laptops come with a diagnostics CD.  Chuck that in and reboot the laptop.  When the laptop boots up, if it is a problem with XP the CD will be read, then run a fuill diagnostic on your Laptop (for good measure).  If it does not read the CD, it is either the BIOS or a hardware issue.

Logan

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.060
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0