· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Banned from webmail
kittykat
# Posted: 31 Jan 2005 05:27

Basically we aren't allowed to use web based email at work anymore (eg yahoo, gmail etc) because the technical types are morons (by which they mean we keep downloading viruses, but as someone pointed out wouldn't a more effective virus protection be more sensible).

Anyhoo - when i try to use yahoo mail I get a "you're not allowed and we've logged you!" message and we have no authority on these computers to change settings.

Does anyone know of another way to access webmail?

KK

lzrman
# Posted: 31 Jan 2005 09:56

KK: you could use remote desktop or realvnc to connect to your system at home :) and check your webmail from that connection home.

If you have XP Pro on your home machine, all you would need to do is configure it to let yourself access.

Then run mstsc.exe from work (may have to download it or run it off your member site if the work computer isn't running xp) and just type your ip address and login w/ your home user/pass.

If not install Real VNC 4 from realvnc.com :)

If ya need some help, poke me on icq ill help ya make this work.

LZrman

kittykat
# Posted: 31 Jan 2005 09:58

We aren't allowed that kind of access to our work stations - for example I can't even change the time

KK

bam_bam
# Posted: 16 Feb 2005 12:05

did you try to use a proxy server to bypass it

kittykat
# Posted: 16 Feb 2005 12:34

Ah well see we don't manually connect to the net, we're always connected and I can't access those kind of settings.

Also reading the "do's and don'ts list" fiddling with anything like that is bad and you will get in trouble (my friend just got put back 2 points on her payscale for forwarding on a dodgy email - 2nd time she got caught).

i though there was maybe some way that you access email online without it appearing to be email.....like you can access some messengers without downloading them.

KK

logan
# Posted: 22 Feb 2005 02:11

Firstly, in the "Technical Morons" defense, a more effective anti-virus solution would not do the job, as you have to download the attachments before it can do it's job and then the worm is already on your PC and starts spreading.  Once that happens you are screwed.  The solution is, either ban Webmail or kill all of the users (I am rather partial to option two myself)

Okay, on to the subject at hand.  For starters, don't use VNC.  Not one of the best solutions in this case.  What might be an idea is to use Outlook express and create a POP3/IMAP account from which you can download your mails.  Then (if it is POP3) set the account up as so it leaves a copy of the message on the server.  If not, then "bam_bam" had a good suggestion.  a web proxy.  Use a service such as  http://www.anonymizer.com/ as long as you can reach that site you will be able to access your webmail.

Short of that, the policy will be enforced by means of a local proxy server.  Bypass that and you bypass the policy.  If you would like to do this I can write a registry file to bypass your proxy settings if you like (you aren't my problem afterall ;))

Mark

kittykat
# Posted: 22 Feb 2005 04:30

Ah i think the anonymiser would be what I would be looking for unfortunately it's another thing Im banned from :v

And bah! I'm not dumb enough to download things from emails like that they shouldn't punish me for the idiocy of others - who are probably the ones who give their account details to Mr Mugabe from Timbuktoo who will give me a 1/4 of his 2000 billon

Unfortunately I can't fiddle around with proxy stuff  :(

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.048
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0