· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Advice
demonvamp
# Posted: 8 Mar 2005 09:25

Hi folks!

I would love to be able to share my pc broadband connection wirelessly with my laptop, but don't have a clue how to go about it/what I would need to buy and all that stuff :D

Everytime I look, it all just goes over my none tech-enabled head :(  What I do know is that I need advice, any and all is appreciated.

Thanks,
Queen Demon.

logan
# Posted: 8 Mar 2005 13:43

Simple stuff really, There are three flavours of wireless product available at present 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g.  The "a" standard operates at 54mb per second for wireless enabled "a" standard devices only. It is reletively expensive.   This standard was aimed at mainly at Enterprise networks (Large businesses) The main attraction is the 5Ghz band (which you would never use on a home network).  The "b" standard is another story.  It provides an 11mb/s of through put to wireless b stanard devices only and provides a band of 2.4ghz and is cheap to buy.  Finally we have the "g" standard.  This is also relatively inexpensive, it also provides a band of 2.4ghz but supports 54mb/s for wireless g devices and supports 11mb/s for wireless b devices.  In short I would recommend 802.11g.

On to what you need.  If you have broadband then you will need a broadband router (wireless enabled) just like this one.  If however you have ADSL then (obviously) you will need an ADSL router instead, just like this one.  Finally, you will need a wireless network card for your laptop.  Assuming you do not have a wireless capable laptop already, you will need a PCMCIA card, exactly like this one

Now I have recommended linksys equipment, mainly due to the fact that it is probably the best you will get and is reasonably priced too.  Any equivent equipment will work though.

If you have any more questions though, just E-mail me

Logan

demonvamp
# Posted: 9 Mar 2005 08:05

Thanks much, Logan, that's a great help :)

*pops back in*

Do you know what the difference is between a network card and a USB wireless adapter? Are they the same thing, and could I use that instead of a card if my laptop doesn't have one?

Queen.

scorger
# Posted: 16 Mar 2005 08:47

If you don't mind more input, here's mine:

The network card connect via cable to another computer or to your router.
The USB wireless adapter will let you connect to another computer or to your router without wires. Hence, you need to make sure your router is broadcasting in the same method that the USB wireless is.

As soon as they're talking on the same level (the same method), you'll be able to surf wirelessly around the house.
You should check the router specifications for the range of its signal.

One more thing, from my experience, you get better bandwidth when you sit closer to the router, wirelessly.
Hopes that helped some :),

Scorger.

demonvamp
# Posted: 16 Mar 2005 09:47

Thanks scorger, every bit helps where I'm concerned ;)

Queen.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.025
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0