· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / AIM Privacy Changes
eagle
# Posted: 12 Mar 2005 09:09

Quoted from Slashdot:

"AOL has posted new terms of service for AIM, that include the right for AOL to use anything and everything you send through AIM in any way they see fit, without informing you. A sample passage: '...by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy.'"

justinviskoc
# Posted: 12 Mar 2005 09:30

*shrug* Never did like AIM anywho. *uninstalls and goes back to using MSN and YIM*

eagle
# Posted: 13 Mar 2005 14:27

And I've never once used it. This is for the people who do. ;o)

lzrman
# Posted: 13 Mar 2005 18:07

I use it and think there new TOS is a crap *l*

anthony_w
# Posted: 10 Apr 2005 11:43

How long before msn and yahoo start acting the same way? There's alot of people on ims that can be used as targets for ad campaigns and marketing information. I think this is completly criminal and downright suspicious, if not illegal.

I am definatley for a complete switch to open source encrypted instant messenging, jabber for example. http://www.jabber.org/

I'm sick of this online harrasment. Every time i turn on windows i see icons on the taskbar that i don't want there, there's processes that are running and i don't know what they are doing.  There could be any and all sorts of information passing through my computer that i don't know about or have control over.

And yes there are ways to get rid of those things, stop spyware etc. etc. but i shouldn't have to microsoft need to pull the finger out and get cracking i'm expecting major things from longhorn. Computing is supposed to be for everyone not just the tech savy. This sounds ironic coming from a linux nut but i don't mind the minor anoyances of having defauly config files that don't work and having every application have a differnt configuration system, i don't mind that because i know at the end of the day what i'm getting out from my computer. It would be great to get everyone, overnight, to switch to open source products but teh open source community isn't ready for the average user in my opinion. Some products that are ready are the likes of openoffice.org firefox, the gimp to name a few but microsoft are the frontrunner on the usable computer for everyone and frankly they are a disapointment.

I'm gonna sum up my argument with blah blah blah rant rant open source moo linux... also mandriva is the worst name for a product ever... besides ubuntu... and any and all of the brand names of computer processors.. and nestle... and just about every car manufacturer in the world.

An annoyed Anthony

mathew
# Posted: 9 May 2005 21:44

I find it funny how people pull things out of context. :)  

Read the TOS for yourself and you'll notice that it's anything you submit to AOL for their public use.  Such as rate-a-buddy or posting on one of their message boards.

iain
# Posted: 10 May 2005 03:41

The wording now differs from that which was quoted - the Terms Of Service were hence apparently updated following these complaints. The given reason for the update was: ... some users were confused by the meaning of this section, [so] we have clarified it by adding language that makes clear that it only refers to content posted in public areas of AIM and not to private user-to-user communication. This is not a change to the policy, but it hopefully helps make this section easier to understand. (AOL Reaction to Rumors about AIM Terms of Service and Privacy)

The original wording is indeed unclear, and could easily be misinterpreted, whether quoted with or without appropriate context.

Iain

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.020
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0