· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Compliments
bria
# Posted: 14 Mar 2005 07:59

I heard this on the radio a while back, and I figured it would be interesting to see what you people think.

So, compliments. What do you think? Do you like getting compliments, or do they make you blush and fidget and want to sink into the ground? Do you ever give people compliments, or find yourself getting tired of them?
And then, obviously - what makes a good compliment? What makes you smile or blush without even wanting to? Have you ever got a real weird one like "Oooh, I like the shape of your little toe!"? (I haven't! I'm just using this as a silly example! :o :() And do you consider things compliments that most people wouldn't?
One of the things that came up was that apparently, American people do more complimenting than Europeans, on average. What do you reckon? This was on an Irish station, so I guess it'd be a kinda one-sided view no matter what.

Just some things to consider. I'm pretty sure you can come up with more. ;) Share your thoughts!

Edit: So yeah, the "What makes or breaks 'em" line is messed up. Some advice: Never try to do anything on a computer while a three-year-old is beside you pressing random buttons... grr. =P

sg8472
# Posted: 14 Mar 2005 11:19

I never know what to say after a compliment... it's like; "Uh, :} thanks" :D

And giving them... oy... I hate to draw attention to people in case they are like me :D

But I give and get, and it depends on who's giving or getting them (and what it's in regard to)... coz if it's someone you know it's just easier to compliment or recieve one.

Strangest one I've ever gotten is "Wow! :? You have perfect eyebrows"

:v

SG

iain
# Posted: 14 Mar 2005 16:49

The topic description seems to have magically fixed itself, despite the best efforts of your younger self... how very odd. :? :k (Cheques to the blame_hobbie address as per usual, please.)

My usual response to compliments is simple - think of something nice I can say in return, and compliment the person back! Everybody wins. :D

The exception, of course, being if the compliment comes from someone who knows me very well, in which case my initial response may be "It is me - what did you expect? :k" or similar.

As for spontaneous compliments - from me, they're quite few and far between. They're received only if the person's truly deserving of them, and are always very sincerely meant.

My e cents :[
Iain

mble
# Posted: 22 Mar 2005 17:16

I think if they aren't sincere or genuine than they're not good, but if they are meant than absolutely, compliments are a good thing. To give and to receive.

Everyone needs appreciation and enouragement, and everyone should give it.

jd
# Posted: 23 Mar 2005 18:48

It entirely depends on the situation.  If it's someone that knows you and means it, it's fine.  If it's someone that doesn't know you and means it, it's kind of awkward but still fine.  They they either don't mean it or simply mean it as an egoboo, it's odd and awkward.

candyshop
# Posted: 23 Mar 2005 19:03

a compliment means more if it's from a person I respect.

If I say to someone I don't like

"Gee, you've lost some weight, it looks good" and they don't respect me, they're most likely going to think I'm being sarcastic... but then again... if it's someone I don't like... I probably am being sarcastic...

rbw
# Posted: 24 Mar 2005 02:05

I got one this very morning at 6:30am standing at a bus stop. The african fellow who grins at me every morning finally came up to me and said that he thinks I am georgeous :?

Have to admit I was rather flattered and then annoyed with myself for being flattered by someone other than the man who I left sleeping in bed 10 minutes earlier! :o

I then shuffled about for a few minutes until the bus came and I went off on my way to work (where I am now sitting in an empty office because all the civil service types have the day off)

To be honest random compliments of that kind a few an far between in my life so I decided to be pleased and tell my boyfriend to make him jealous (he wasn't because he knows I will never leave him :D )

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.032
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0