· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Photo of planet near distant star
demonvamp
# Posted: 1 Apr 2005 17:38

Photo marks milestone in planet search
Confirmed image shows hot planet near distant star

The bright young star GQ Lupi is at the center of this image, and the outlying planet can be seen to the right, labeled "b."

The planet is thought to be one to two times as massive as Jupiter. It orbits a star similar to a young version of our sun.

The star, GQ Lupi, has been observed by a team of European astronomers since 1999. They have made three images using the European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope in Chile. The Hubble Space Telescope and the Japanese Subaru Telescope each contributed an image, too.

The work was led by Ralph Neuhaeuser of the Astrophysical Institute & University Observatory.

"The detection of the faint object near the bright star is certain," Neuhaeuser told Space.com on Friday.

The system is young, so the planet is rather warm, like a bun fresh out of the oven. That warmth made it comparatively easier to see in the glare of its host star compared with more mature planets. Also, the planet is very far from the star — about 100 times the distance between Earth and the sun, another factor in helping to separate the light between the two objects.

Read all

QD, would you look at that, folks! :)

anth
# Posted: 2 Apr 2005 02:10

Queen : You beat me to it. Good job i looked first! :D

That's a historic image! Hope it is what they think it is.

What's also exciting is the size of planets being detected is getting smaller all the time. Hopefully soon they'll cross the thresh hold of regularly observing rocky planets like Earth.

Once thats happened it's easy to run that small worlds light through a spectrum, and deduce chemicals in its atmosphere. The proospect of finding another earth could be just around the corner. :)

demonvamp
# Posted: 2 Apr 2005 08:53

Heh, I was up very late last night ;)  but I have to agree and hope they don't come back at some point and proclaim it a solar belch :D

Queen.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.033
Online now: Guests - 6
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0