· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Those blasted popups
demonvamp
# Posted: 4 Apr 2005 14:27

Hi folks,

I'm not talking about the regular kind of pop up, I'm talking about the kind that hits you out of the blue when browsing and locks you into a cycle of pain.

First appears the message, 'would you like to install so and so?' you click no and it replies with, 'you must click yes to continue' thereby shoving you into a neverending click-fest as you frantically try to close the browser window without having to resort to ctrl alt del.

I only ask because before a few weeks ago they were merely annoying, yet in the last few enocounters they've decided to start hitting me with malicious content that may or may not be stopped by my virus scanners. They certainly aren't phased by my pop up blocker.

Are they really being malicious? Or is my comp just a hyperchondriac?

Regards,
Queen Demon ;)

kittykat
# Posted: 5 Apr 2005 10:56

Hmmm you haven't got any spyware by any chance?

Oh and alt. ctrl. del is your friend :)

KK

demonvamp
# Posted: 5 Apr 2005 12:02

I regularly throw ad aware at my comp *l* so if I have it's buried deeper than that, and I do only get it while browsing. Plus, it's happened on two different comps now, so I don't know :(

Queen.

eagle
# Posted: 5 Apr 2005 20:26

It's the site you're visiting, they're a real pain. Right up there with banner ads that make noise in my book. *l*

The way to get out of them is to press Alt+F4 right after you hit "No". That will close the browser window and make the bad site go away.

kittykat
# Posted: 6 Apr 2005 05:29

Spammers will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!

demonvamp
# Posted: 6 Apr 2005 09:01

Thanks Eagle :)  That's a great help :)

And amen to that KK ;)

Queen.

bam_bam
# Posted: 7 Apr 2005 20:55

i suggest mozilla firefox. and get adblock.

richard
# Posted: 9 Apr 2005 07:32

I'd also suggest you set your browser not to simply accept every cookie thrown at it, but to refuse third party cookies and promt you for others.

Oh, and just because your sptware proggy says yer clean, doesn't mean you really are..
Sometimes nasty stuff get's hidden in your register.

Richard

demonvamp
# Posted: 9 Apr 2005 10:21

Have done now, Richard, thanks :)

Queen.

anthony_w
# Posted: 10 Apr 2005 11:25

I'd recommend firefox web browser it's not spyware proof but it's definatley not as affected by it as ie is, as soon as spyware is found out for it the developers can get cracking on an update.

Also check out spybot search and destroy AND adaware, downloading them can be tricky because there are numerous spoof sites out there where the so called anti spyware software is infact a massive trojan with a payload of lots of spyware... that was fun to discover. I recommend downloading them both from www.download.com

I also recommend hijackthis.exe it's a simple program that tells you exactly what is starting up when your computer does and allows you to stop it. This can be done with a command from the run prompt thing too but i can't remember it. There will probably be a few programs starting when the computer does that you won't know what they are but any obvious spyware will stick out like a sore thumb.

Also viruses/viri can be to blame for annoying popup and rather embarasing homepage altering so you may want to scan. I recomend Avast antivirus. Make sure you're also upto date with microsoft's patches. www.microsoft.com. You can also download their beta version of their spyware program (but you need to have a legit copy of windows for it to work.. so er.. i have no reviews of that:P)

logan
# Posted: 14 Apr 2005 00:28

Ooooookay, back again and catching up, sorry for the delay folks.  If anyone is interested in hearing about backward solutions due to cost saving initiatives then feel free to ask me what eats up half of my life ;)

Anyway, Anothy beat me to it but hijackthis is a superb program for catching all of those rogue BHOs and other little gems installed by spyware effecting your browser.  monitors your browsers configurations and plugins listing them for you to uninstall (again using hijackthis).  You have to be a little bit carefull as obviously there are several valid porcess and pluggins that you could be getting rid of.  I find it very usefull for manually getting rid of various BHOs that your spyware engine has missed.

You should be able to download it by searching google for hijackthis.exe but I have it if you can't get it.  Also, if you aren't sure of what you should be removing, again give me a shout (MSN is probably your best bet, ID is in my doss)

Logan

demonvamp
# Posted: 14 Apr 2005 08:35

Thanks Logan, I'll look into that :)

Queen.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.048
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0