· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Touchdown!
demonvamp
# Posted: 9 Aug 2005 10:19

After two days of weather delays, which finally saw the landing site shifted to Edwards airforce base in California, the space shuttle Discovery lands without a hitch.

Discovery lights up the sky in infra red.

On leaving Discovery, the crew went to inspect the vehicle on the tarmac.

SHUTTLE LANDING SITES

Kennedy Space Center - the shuttle's "home" and preferred site for landing
Edwards Air Force Base - the shuttle has landed a total of 50 times at the base
White Sands - back-up known as Northrup Strip lies 45 miles north of US Army missile range
"It's been four years' training for the STS-114 [shuttle] mission and this is a wonderful moment for all of us to experience," said Discovery's commander Eileen Collins standing next to the shuttle on the runway, "We met the test objectives of the space shuttle programme and brought Discovery back in great shape."

Nasa officials cheered and clapped as Commander Collins made a perfect landing on runway 22 at Edwards Air Force Base about 54 minutes before dawn.

The shuttle touched down at around 322km/h (200mph), deploying its parachute to slow its speed after making a 196-degree turn to align itself with the landing strip. Its steep trajectory took it over the Pacific Ocean and just north of Los Angeles.

Safely home

Full story

I watched this landing this morning and I cheered when Discovery touched down. The shuttle fleet may still be grounded, but hopefully this won't be the last ever flight.

QD ;)

anth
# Posted: 9 Aug 2005 11:32

Thanks QD! :)

Great to see Discovery on the ground safely.

One of the things i'll remember about this mission, was i suppose an offshoot of the misfortune of Columbia. Which was the fantastic quality of images and film of the shuttle mission from start to finish.

I've followed the shuttle since Columbia's first ever launch in 1981. I've never seen such amazing pictures of the shuttle during launch, and in orbit. Many of the high res shots were required for safety checks, and to conform to new guidelines. But, as ordinary folk, we did benefit from them greatly, purely as casual spectators.

Fingers crossed for a safe mission for Atlantis. But, should we be asking the question, has the shuttle had its last mission? Or should it have had its last mission?

Maybe this, or a new thread would be a good place to debate this.

Whatever though... Well done to the Shuttle crew. As always, you did a fantastic job. :)

monny
# Posted: 9 Aug 2005 12:49

Thank goodness they're home safe.

This is really a great boost for NASA. I hope they get the go ahead for more funding. (Maybe it'll reduce some spending on more destructive government endeavours.)

Welcome home Discovery crew!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.016
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0