· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Actor Michael Sheard passes away
crazytexan
# Posted: 2 Sep 2005 07:11

Source: The Associated Press

LONDON -- Michael Sheard, who played Admiral Ozzel in "The Empire Strikes Back" and Adolf Hitler five times, including in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," has died, his agent said. He was 65.

Sheard died on Wednesday at his home on the Isle of Wight off the southern coast of England, agent Liz Hobbs said. He had been suffering from cancer.

Sheard appeared in more than 40 feature films, working with actors including Lawrence Olivier, David Niven, Roger Moore and Sean Connery.

He is best known in Britain for his role as Maurice Bronson, the teacher who terrorized his pupils in the long-running teenage soap, "Grange Hill."

Sheard is survived by his wife, Ros, and three children. Funeral details were not immediately available.

More information located on the BBC website at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4200884.stm

and at Mr. Sheard's website: http://www.michaelsheard.com

Looking at the comments from fans on the BBC site, he was quite the gracious gentleman and always took the time to talk with sci-fi fans at various conventions. I know that there are a few OTF members that met Michael and enjoyed chatting with him.

Farewell Admiral....

monny
# Posted: 2 Sep 2005 12:27

I've watched Admiral Ozzel "disappoint" Vader so many times in SW ESB.

May he rest in peace.

quincyw
# Posted: 2 Sep 2005 22:27

I felt a deep shock when I read the news.

He was also known to the Sci Fi community for other work, having appeared no less than seven times (six TV stories, one audio CD) in classic Doctor Who, in such notable stories as The Ark (First Doctor); The Mind of Evil (Third Doctor); The Invisible Enemy (Fourth Doctor); and Castrovalva (Fifth Doctor). He had prominent roles in The Pyramids of Mars (Fourth Doctor); and Remembrance of the Daleks (Seventh Doctor). He'd also appeared in the audio play The Stones of Venice (Eighth Doctor).

Judging from his official website (http://www.michaelsheard.com), he was a very kind, beloved entertainer who was worth his weight in gold and who never missed a chance to bring a smile to everyone in the same room as him.

He always brought about a level of class, grace and elegance to the role, no matter what it was. George Lucas once noted that Admiral Ozzel's death scene was the best screen death ever.

We have lost a great actor. I shall miss him.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.019
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0