· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Pluto loses it's planet status
kittykat
# Posted: 24 Aug 2006 10:59

Shocking! :?  I always knew Pluto was a controversial planet but I never expected them to "declassify it"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5282440.stm

From the article:

Astronomers have voted to strip Pluto of its status as a planet.
About 2,500 scientists meeting in Prague have adopted historic new guidelines that see the small, distant world demoted to a secondary category.

The International Astronomical Union's (IAU) decision means textbooks will have to describe a Solar System with just eight major planetary bodies.

Pluto, which was discovered in 1930, will now be referred to as a "dwarf planet".

and also
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/2408200....us.html

demonvamp
# Posted: 24 Aug 2006 11:33

It is a bit of a shame *wanted Youbelly to be a proper planet*  but I guess them's the breaks  :D  I'll watch all the astrologers try and reason that one out now, silly profession...

QD ;)

kittykat
# Posted: 24 Aug 2006 11:59

and now my mnemonic doesn't make any sense! :(

My
Very
Easy
Method
Just
Speeds
Up
Naming.......Naming what?!

The Madness! :(

BTW I can totally spell mnemonic - I looked it up and I was right! Point me to the nearest spelling bee!

dierna
# Posted: 24 Aug 2006 13:30

Being that My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza's no longer applies I have thought of a brand new one:

My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nachos!  :k

darth_balco
# Posted: 24 Aug 2006 17:59

Pluto should file an appeal to get it's status as planet back. What if there's an advanced alien peep type group out there and they get word of this? Bad stuff peeps, bad stuff will go down. And then we have to depend one hope and one hope alone - Tom Cruise. :(

lzrman
# Posted: 24 Aug 2006 22:23

awww, I always learned the planets in elementary school the correct way now they will have to spend money changing all references to pluto being a planet in schools across the world.

My Very Egocentric Mother Just Slapped Ur Nice Pants!
Now its like

My very excellent mother just served u nothhing!

demonvamp
# Posted: 25 Aug 2006 08:46

According to the news, the backlash has begun.

This could roll on and on :D

QD.

maxmeieriii
# Posted: 1 Sep 2006 03:15

It just hit me in the back of the head, but now shouldn't Disney file a suit seeing as if Pluto is no longer a planet, their character should now become "Disney's Infamous Dwarf Dog?"

Probably the wrong place to post this, but I thought of it and my friends and I sure got a laugh out of it...  :D

lythria_2005
# Posted: 1 Sep 2006 05:45

I recon they "demoted" Pluto due to pressure over Sedna...and the fact that there are bigger moons than Pluto orbiting Jupiter...

They discovered Sedna, the so-called 10th planet, earlier last year...but they didn't class it as a Planet due to the fact that it wasn't round...it was classed a Planetoid, or a dwarf planet...

So...if that is the case, how could they maintane that Pluto was infact a Planet?...

sily scientists...><...

anth
# Posted: 1 Sep 2006 08:08

For me, Pluto is a planet. It always will be.

So will anything else with enough gravity to form a sphere, orbit the sun, and not orbit another planet ( ie a Moon. ).

I just do not see the problem with Pluto remaining a planet, the Moons of Jupiter etc are MOONS, they orbit a planet. Period. Had they not been created in Jupiter orbit, or been caught by their parent planet, then they would be planets too, but they are not.

The moons of Mars are obviously captured asteroids, so too are many moons of Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus. So, should we now downgrade those from Moons to "minor moons", or moonlets, or orbital rocks? or what? We could go on and on with this declassification if we wished. For instance there are some very strange galaxies that are not typical, just as Pluto is not typical. Lets get rid of those too while we're at it!

What if we one day make contact with an alien life form, or find life on another world, and that world does not fit the new definition of a "Planet", say for example we find a civilization on a planet the same size and the same circumstances as Pluto. I'm pretty damn sure those concerned in the discovery will come right out and say "We've found life on another planet!" Nobody is going to say "no you have not!!! That is not a planet!"

It is quite simple, moons orbit parent planets, round things in space that orbit the sun only are planets. Any child knows that. Why can't a bunch of so called experianced astronomers know that too.

I have always been a huge admirer of Clyde Tombaugh, the discoverer of Pluto, the man spent over 2000 hours studying and taking images to find the 9th planet, and awesome undertaking.

I thought it was cowardly and down right low that Brian Marsden and the rest of the anti Pluto Planet lobby waited for Clyde to die before setting this whole ridiculous thing into motion. It just felt very underhand and unfair to me. They are stripping away at the legacy and life achievements of a great man.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.020
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0